If you are a beer drinker headed to Belgium in the next couple of days, you may be aware that there many beer events that will happen beginning this Friday, April 27. The Zythos Beer Festival (ZBF) in Leuven is Belgium’s biggest beer fest in terms of the number of beers on offer: 500+. ZBF will be held Saturday April 28 and Sunday April 29 at Leuven’s Brabanthal.
With such a big beer event occurring this weekend, naturally other events are planned at the same time by Belgian breweries and beer cafes. For lambic lovers, the superb and much loved Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen & lambik-O-droom in Lot, a short train ride from Brussels, is holding one of two special lambic focused events in Belgium this weekend. Called “Bespelingen van het Lot” or “Twisting the Fate” the 3 Fonteinen tasting cafe will feature tastings of a number of small batch experimental brews.
This from 3 Fonteinen: “Twist of Fate” (“Speling van het Lot”) is a series of small batch experimental brews, barrel maturations, fruit macerations and/or blends. It allows us to enter the lambic playground in our own way. We would like to pop them on Friday the 27th of April and Saturday the 28th of April in our lambik-O-droom (no reservation needed).
On Friday the 27th of April we will exceptionally be open until 7 PM (instead of 5 PM) and will be chartering a bus to the Night of Great Thirst in Itterbeek. Please send a message to email@example.com for more information and reservations. We hope you will have a peach of a time! The 3 Fonteinen team.”
I hope you did not miss the part above about the Night of the Great Thirst, which is this Friday night in Itterbeek. It is another great lambic beer event that only happens every other year. See here for more info
The list of experimental beers is as follows:
* Speling van het Lot I.i – Nocturne Valavond | Nightfall
* Speling van het Lot I.ii – Nocturne Het Uur Van De Wolf | The Hour of the Wolf
* Speling van het Lot I.iii – Nocturne In’t Putteke Van De Nacht | The Darkest Hour
* Speling van het Lot II.ii – Robijn Blended & Alive
* Speling van het Lot III – Ferme Fraise
* Speling van het Lot IV.i – Ferme Braam Raw & Uncut
* Speling van het Lot IV.ii – Ferme Braam Raw & Uncut with Honey
* Speling van het Lot VI.i – Witte Perzik Raw & Uncut
* Speling van het Lot VI.ii – Gele Perzik Raw & Uncut
* Speling van het Lot VI.iii – Gele & Witte Perzik Raw & Uncut
* Speling van het Lot VI.iv – Gele & Witte Perzik Blended & Alive
11 different, brand new, small batch beers from one of the world’s great lambic breweries…this will surely be a night to remember for attendees!
3 Fonteinen should also have other beers on offer for drinking in the tasting room, such as the excellent (new) Oude Kriekenlambiek, Intense Red, Hommage, Oude Geuze, various vintages of 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Vintage and other Oude Geuze blends, such as Armand and Gaston…and who knows what else! With an incredible stable of both new and cellar-aged beers, it’s no telling what Armand, Michael, Werner, Gaetan, Emilie, Sara, Diego, and others on the 3 Fonteinen team may have planned. I highly recommend a visit.